‘Tis the season of year-end music lists*, so we offer you one with a Brooklyn Based twist: the top ten bands that played at local venues Union Hall and The Bell House. (You may have met us at the latter, during our blowout Red+ Blue Election Day Party. If not, you have another chance on Jan. 21 when we host a “Lost” premiere party with — who else? — the band Previously on Lost.)
We asked Jack (Skippy) McFadden, music programmer for both venues and co-owner of the Bell House, to name songs from each of his favorite bands that he booked for one sweet holiday mix. All are free and legal to download>>. Listen in good health.
1. Department of Eagles “No One Does It Like You” (played their first ever live show at the Bell House October 6, 2008)
2. A.C. Newman “There Are Maybe Ten Or Twelve“ (played The Bell House November 15, 2008) [And dug our cupcakes at the Election Party — ed.]
3. Rogue Wave “Chicago x 12“ (played Union Hall August 9, 2008)
4. Delta Spirit “Trashcan“ (played Union Hall March 25 and June 27, 2008)
5. Fleet Foxes “He Doesn’t Know Why“ (played Union Hall twice on July 10, 2008)
6. Wye Oak “Warning“ (played Union Hall April 12, July 12 and September 24, 2008 and Bell House October 24, 2008)
7. Liam Finn “Energy Spent“ (played The Bell House October 11, 2008)
8. The Submarines “You & Me & The Bourgeoisie“ (played Union Hall May 29, 2008 and playing the Bell House February 11, 2009)
9. The Spinto Band “Summer Grof“ (played a residency at Union Hall July 2008)
10. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin “The Beach Song“ (played Union Hall six times including April 21, 2008)
Sent by Nicole. Cover art by Tamar Monhait and Nate Preston. Click it to enlarge and print.