Since it opened its doors in Williamsburg nearly 10 years ago, Artists and Fleas has been offering a finely curated selection of handmade goods, design objects and vintage finds from hundreds of sellers. Whether it’s quirky iPhone speakers, vintage, vegan “fur” or even T-shirts and lamps made from vintage kids sheets (profiled recently in The New York Times!), you can find the perfect, one-of-a-kind gift your cousin in Ohio depends on you to get. Artists and Fleas’ permanent Brooklyn outpost is at 70 North 7th Street, open each Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 7pm, and every holiday season, you can also find them in Manhattan at Chelsea Market, seven days a week from 10:30am to 7pm, except for Christmas Day. Stop by Chelsea Market after work on Dec. 20 from 7-10pm and you can even catch a little karaoke and blow off some Christmas shopping steam. Below are five holiday gifts worth scouring their vendors’ tables for, though you’ll undoubtedly uncover even more cool finds in person.
1. Custom-made shirts from PO_I. This Taiwan brother and sister duo already had a monster hit on their hand back home where they had a cult-like following of folks flocking to their shops to create customized, one-of-a-kind tailored shirts. They picked up and set up shop in Brooklyn making their first foray into the US via Artists & Fleas. It’s a do-it-yourself designer’s dream where you can customize up to 5 different parts (Right Sleeve, Front, Left Sleeve, Pocket, Back). Shirts begin at $65 and they make them on the spot A&F in Williamsburg.
2. Builder and designer Devin Kain of Bugcicle knows the potency and prevalence of everything iPhone and iPod and has done a little back to the future riff with his latest collection of book stereos and speakers that pack a punch of sound and let you plug in directly to your iPhone. $160 online, $145 at A&F in Williamsburg.
3. Black Lamb is Rachele Rouquié’s whim and wit on t-shirts and all things furry and feathery (feather headbands…hello Brooklyn!). Her humpback whale is a Winter weather antidote and a total splash of color for a grey day wardrobe. $40 at Artists & Fleas at Chelsea Market.
4. If you like it put a ring on it…or what’s with the Williamsburg obsession with animals? Cute and cuddly or sweet and vicious, artist and designer Helene Pe (famous for her super-hero cat posters that adorn the market in Williamsburg at the entrance) is expanding her menagerie with this Faux-Fur Fox Ring from her original design in wax and available in yellow brass, white brass or sterling silver. $64. Available in Williamsburg and at Chelsea Market.
5. Men need man jewels. And Brooklyn men need jewels with skulls, ‘course. Jewelry and accessories designers Dallas & Dynasty have created these show-stopping oxidized brass skull cufflinks, $65 in Williamsburg.