Navigating the urban jungle can be tricky, but with Bush Smarts, your friends and family can be prepared for anything, whether they’re hiking the streets of Brooklyn or climbing Mount Washington. Created by two New Yorkers with a passion for everything outdoors, John Davison and Kevin Sterling share their expertise in extreme gear for the outdoorsman as well as the weekend dabbler. If they can’t find it, they’ll design it, resulting in many innovative must-have creations. Give the gift of adventure this year, with imaginative presents that will lure your loved ones into the wild. Also, join Bush Smarts on December 13th from 2-5pm at Hatchet Outdoor Suppy Co. (77 Atlantic Ave., Brooklyn Heights) for a coffee tasting party where you can try out their limited edition camp coffee kit before you gift it to all your friends.
1. Camp Coffee Kit: This way of brewing coffee was inspired by the cowboys who put ground beans in with the water, and filtered it through their bandanas. Bush Smarts developed a minimal mesh, feather-light filter that delivers a strong cup of Joe into perfectly sized Kuksa drinking cups fashioned from a wood/resin composite. The Guatemalan beans are roasted up by 21Bean and make a dark, mellow brew perfect for sipping and admiring the view. With the ease of design and perfect taste, don’t be surprised if this kit replaces your loved one’s everyday Mr. Coffee Maker. $89
2. Bush Knife: From whittling to cooking over an open fire, campers need a solid knife that will stand up to any task. For a classy yet practical gift, consider this handmade 9.25” knife with an ultra high carbon (UHC) edge that will last longer than any steel blade. The durable leather sheath is hand-manufactured in New York, stitched with high-viz red metal wire and is customizable with up to four letters. $195
3. Game Kit: All work and no play makes Jack (and his pack) a dull boy. Keep spirits up, even on rainy days, with Bush Smarts’ Game Kit. This tiny tin is the perfect gift: containing a deck of cards, dice, hand dipped pencil, waterproof scorecard and instructions for the high stakes game, Man-or-Moose. Seemingly made for surviving indoors during the polar vortex, it’s also bright enough for finding in a dark tent or playing around the campfire. Each one can be customized with up to four letters. $28
4. Hiking Socks: Whether you are climbing the icy peaks in Yosemite or the wall at Brooklyn Boulders, it’s important to keep your feet warm and dry. Give the guys in your life toasty toes this winter with Bush Smarts’ men’s merino wool hiking socks. Made in North Carolina, these socks have cushion in the heel and the ball of the foot, and come with or without a hand stitch on top. A Jackalope print on one sock, reminds you to alternate feet to make them last longer, but unfortunately no one will remind you that it’s time to wash them. $20
5. Long Range Watch Cap: Seeking the world for the best outdoors products is a tough job that took the guys at Bush Smarts’ all the way to Newfoundland. While trekking in Gros Morne N.P., they discovered this hat and its ability to keep the Labrador Sea winds at bay. This stylish, handknit hat is 100% sheeps wool and has a rolled rim that can safely protect ears in a midtown wind tunnel. With three different colors, red, gray or heather, to choose from, it’s a versatile and cozy gift idea. $50